1) How easy is it to navigate?
2) Is the design and layout both simple and visually appealing?
3) Does is allow for interactivity in a variety of ways? (discussion, email, audio, video, games, etc.)
4) Can it be accessed/is it compatible with multiple (mobile) devices?
5) What additional resources and tools does it offer?
Perhaps an even more interesting question, as suggested by Donna Fry in our Teaching and Learning Through eLearning course: is an LMS necessary? It's an intriguing question, and one that I'm not sure how to answer. How would it work?
Certainly, to keep things simple, it would be nice to have a one-stop hub for the content and tools in an eLearning course. There are other benefits, too, for a board to use the same LMS. From an administrative perspective, it would allow for streamlined training and perhaps easier to keep track of enrollment, instructors, etc. From a student perspective, once you get experience using d2L, for example, that familiarity would be beneficial for the next online course you take.
What do you think?